High School Visual Arts Competition
The 18th Annual High School Visual Arts Competition is going virtual this year! Registration will OPEN in late September 2020, and the Artists & Awards Recognition Show will be held online on March 11, 2021.
The High School Visual Arts Competition showcases and acknowledges art in four categories: 2D, 3D, Photography, and the Lamorinda Arts Alliance Digital Art category. All work is by high school students who live in or attend school in Orinda, Lafayette, or Moraga, including all schools in the Acalanes Union High School District. The competition features cash awards, merit citations, and an online public exhibit of entries on the Lamorinda Arts Council website.
Entries accepted for the High School Student Visual Arts Competition will be on display online for public viewing starting March 1, 2021.
The Lamorinda Arts Council High School Visual Arts Competition accepts entries for:
- 2D: painting, drawing, printmaking, mixed media, collage
- 3D: ceramics, sculpture, jewelry, construction
- Photography: traditional film and digital photography
- Lamorinda Arts Alliance Digital Art Category: two-dimensional artwork that is produced or manipulated on a computer platform and then printed on paper, canvas or other material. The artwork may be an original digital painting, a digital graphic or illustration, or a photo image that has been manipulated beyond enhancement or applying effect to a photograph.
Eligibility and Rules
All high school students living in or attending high school in Moraga, Orinda, or Lafayette and/or Acalanes Union High School District, including Las Lomas High School, are invited to participate.
Artwork must be created while the student attends high school (9-12 grade). During the registration process, students will be asked to list their teacher’s name for artwork that was created in class during school. We want to acknowledge the contribution of Art Teachers on behalf of our students and community. Artwork that was created outside of school may be submitted as long as the work was done while attending high school.
The Lamorinda Arts Council is a nonprofit that supports appreciation of the arts by all age groups. Artwork displayed must be appropriate for children. Nudes are not permitted. If you have questions about the suitability of your content, contact the curator. Artwork will be approved for display at the sole discretion of the Lamorinda Arts Council.
- Deadline For Registration: Fri, Feb 19th, Midnight
- Artist & Awards Recognition Show: Thurs, Mar 11th at 7pm
- Online Exhibit Run: Mar 1 until updated next year
Professionals with experience in (practicing, teaching, or representing) the categories judge the competition. The criteria used for judging is:
- Creativity and originality
- Degree of expertise in the chosen medium
Cash prizes for 1st – 3rd place per category, plus honorable mention, totaling up to $2,900 will be awarded.
1st Place – $300
2nd Place – $200
3rd Place – $100
Three (3) Honorable Mentions – $25 each
Best in Show – $300