High School Visual Arts Competition
Thank you for making the 19th Annual High School Visual Arts Competition a huge success! All entries accepted for the 2022 High School Visual Arts Competition are currently on display in our online gallery, which will be available from April 1, 2022 through February 2023.
Full list of 2022 award winners is available HERE.
The High School Visual Arts Competition showcases and acknowledges art in four categories: 2D, 3D, Photography, and the Lamorinda Arts Alliance Digital Art category. All work is by high school students who live in or attend school in Orinda, Lafayette, or Moraga, including all schools in the Acalanes Union High School District. The competition features cash awards, merit citations, an in-person art exhibit in the gallery as well as an online public exhibit of entries on the Lamorinda Arts Council website.
The Lamorinda Arts Council High School Visual Arts Competition accepts entries for:
- 2D: painting, drawing, printmaking, mixed media, collage
- 3D: ceramics, sculpture, jewelry, construction
- Photography: traditional film and digital photography
- Lamorinda Arts Alliance Digital Art Category: two-dimensional artwork that is produced or manipulated on a computer platform and then printed on paper, canvas or other material. The artwork may be an original digital painting, a digital graphic or illustration, or a photo image that has been manipulated beyond enhancement or applying effect to a photograph.
Eligibility and Rules
All high school students living in or attending high school in Moraga, Orinda, or Lafayette and/or Acalanes Union High School District, including Las Lomas High School, are invited to participate.
- Students may submit only one art piece per category, but may enter more than one category.
- Entries in 2D, Photography, and Digital Artwork categories may not exceed 36" x 36" or 36" x 48". 3D Artwork may not exceed 36" in height.
- Artwork must be created while the student attends high school (9-12 grade). During the registration process, students will be asked to list their teacher’s name for artwork that was created in class during school. We want to acknowledge the contribution of Art Teachers on behalf of our students and community. Artwork that was created outside of school may be submitted as long as the work was done while attending high school.
- Artwork must be of the student's own creation and not produced in collaboration with others (except in guidance from a teacher).
- Artwork must be the student's own original concept and not a copy of anyone else's copyrighted material.
- The Lamorinda Arts Council, which maintains the physical gallery space and the online gallery, requires that all artwork displayed must be appropriate for patrons of all ages. Within the Lamorinda Arts Council's sole discretion, artwork that is overtly violent, overtly racist, or overtly religious will not be permitted. Artwork with depictions of nudity will not be permitted. If you have questions about the suitability of your content, contact the curator.
Important Dates for 2022
- Registration Deadline (online): Tue 2/22, midnight
- Artwork Drop Off (Orinda Library): Mon 2/28, 4-6pm
- Artist & Awards Reception (Orinda Library): Thu 3/10, 7-8:30pm
- Artwork Pickup (Orinda Library): Thu 3/31, 3-6pm
Professionals with experience in (practicing, teaching, or representing) the categories judge the competition. The criteria used for judging is:
- Creativity and originality
- Degree of expertise in the chosen medium
Cash prizes for Best in Show and 1st – 3rd place & up to 3 honorable mentions per category, for a total of up to $3,000, will be awarded.
Best in Show – $300
1st Place – $300
2nd Place – $200
3rd Place – $100
Honorable Mentions – $25 each