Writers paint images with words. Artists tell stories with color. Together they enrich our community.
Please join us for Art Embraces Words, a recurring free series. The program features emerging authors reading excerpts of their work; artists displaying their visual artwork; and a Q&A with audience members. An outdoor reception with light refreshments follows. All COVID-19 precautions observed for your safety.
Live Event Saturday October 30 12:00-3:30 pm Halloween Theme, Costumes Optional: Appear as your favorite Literary or Artistic character. Prizes awarded by Costumer Jill Gelster of Orinda Starlight Village Players theater company.
Join us at the Lafayette Library & Learning Center Amphitheater, 3491 Mt. Diablo Blvd., Lafayette 94549. Outdoor Reception Follows.
Click to learn more about the October event.
Click HERE to view our Video Archive of live and virtual programs from 2019 to the present.
Our most recent program was recorded live on Sunday, July 25 by AEW Co-Chair Natalie Samuels Wheeler.
For more information, contact us here.
Who Should Apply to Read
Adult emerging writers 18 years of age or older (non-published or newly published). We prioritize applicants who live or work in Lafayette, Moraga or Orinda, California but we welcome all writers. Occasionally national or international guest writers will be invited to participate. Unless you are Danielle Steele or James Patterson you are an emerging writer.
Call for Writing Entries
We request submission of up to 1250 words from emerging writers, newly published and non-published writers, to read from their work. Each writer will be given up to 10 minutes to read including transition time.
Type of Writing
All creative writing, fiction and non-fiction, will be considered. All content must be G-rated and appropriate for audiences of all ages.
Criteria for Selection
Applicants will be juried by Professional Writers. Criteria sought after includes strong writing skills, a fresh and/or unique voice, and a compelling story.
Book Sales encouraged after program on media table at Live Probrams; no commission is charged.
For Visual Artists
Who Should Apply to Present Artwork
We prioritize visual artists who live or work in Lafayette, Moraga or Orinda, California but we welcome all artists. Occasionally national or international guest artists will be invited to participate.. Content must be G-rated and appropriate for audiences of all ages. Artwork will be reviewed by a professional curator and displayed via a video feed in our free Zoom Webinar.
Information for Artist Presenters in Live Programs and Zoom Webinars
- Two artist presenters are scheduled at each Live Program and Zoom Webinar interspersed with writer presenters; occasionally we invite a national or international guest artist.
- Live Programs in 2022 will usually take place on a Saturday; Zoom Webinars will usually take place on a Sunday.
- Approximately five programs are scheduled throughout the calendar year. Submissions are considered on a rolling deadline. This means your application may be accepted for the next scheduled program or future programs.
- For Live Programs we need photos and dimensions of the work you want to show so our curator can be prepared to display it properly
- For Live Programs you will have reserved front row seating and you will meet the Emcee in advance.
- For Live Programs we ask that you deliver your visual artwork one hour prior to the scheduled event time so that: (1) we can take still and video shots of the artwork (which will be made into a video which is available on our website) and (2) our curator can position your artwork so it is seen in its best light.
- You will be introduced by our Emcee and given 10 minutes to speak about your artwork with a Q&A period to follow whether the event is a Live Program or a Zoom Webinar. Be prepared to answer questions about your artwork.
- For Zoom Webinars we ask each artist to provide three high resolution photographs of original artwork and a headshot. Artwork can include any mixture of: ceramics, sculpture, collage, acrylic paintings, watercolors, oil paintings, fabric art, drawings, lino prints, digital art, mixed media or photographs.
- Your photos will be made into a slideshow presentation and displayed on the Zoom video feed for all to see. For each photo we need: your name, title, size, media and price - if not for sale we will list it as "NFS."
- In Zoom Webinars artists are visible to the Audience on the video feed and will be introduced by our emcee. All attendees will then view a slideshow of original artwork described above. After the slideshow our emcee will field questions from the audience about your work.
- The entire Zoom Webinar program is recorded, reduced in length, and made available on our website.
- Photographs and videos taken at Live Programs will be condensed and made available on our website as well.
- Your artwork will be promoted in various media and on the Lamorinda Arts Council's social media platforms.
- View videos of artists work from Live Programs and both writer and artist presentations from Zoom Webinar recordings in our video archive HERE
The Lamorinda Arts Council requires a 20 percent commission from the sale of any artwork connected with Art Embraces Words. Commissions can be paid online here, or via check to PO Box 121, Orinda, CA 94563.