Thank you for your interest in Art Embraces Words (AEW) and/or Art Embraces Poetry (AEP). AEP is an experimental program in 2023. In order to be considered for selection as a writer for our in-person series, fill out the online form below. Please read the following important information first. If you are applying for Art Embraces Poetry use the "Writers Apply" application and mention in the "Comments" field at the bottom of the application form that you are applying to read at AEP.
Information for Writer Participants
- Three writers will be selected to read their work. A fourth writer may be selected as an alternate in case a selected writer is unable to attend.
- Please provide a short summary of your literary activities and a headshot in the online form below. Emerging writers are welcome - you need not be published to read your work. We will use the headshot and information for three purposes: 1) to promote you in advance of the program; 2) for listing in the printed Art Embraces Words and Art Embraces Poetry program on the day of the event, and 3) for Emcee Linda Hartmann to introduce you at AEW; Emcee Sue Farmer will introduce you at AEP. A headshot taken with a phone camera @ 300 dpi is acceptable.
- Timing of your reading is either 10 minutes or a word count of 1200. Please attach a copy of what you will read to the online submission form. Content must be G-rated. Self-promotion is limited to your website address and a pointer to where your book or article is available. Your participation in this event is as a writer and reader only. This is not a forum for promotional offers. If you have any questions regarding the content of your writing piece please contact us here.
- Writers have up to 10 minutes for the entirety of their reading, plus time before and after for an intro and Q&A.
- Selected presenters will be notified by email five or more days prior to the event and asked to confirm via email as soon as possible.
- You will receive a program via email prior to the event showing the exact lineup of readers and artists who are scheduled to participate.
- Four AEW events are scheduled throughout the calendar year. Art Embraces Poetry is scheduled for April 15 and July 15; additional dates may be added. Submissions are considered on a rolling deadline. This means if your application is not accepted for an upcoming program, you may be accepted for the next scheduled event or future events. Live events in 2023 take place on Saturdays.
- At Art Embraces Words you will have reserved seating, a nametag and be introduced by Emcee Linda Hartmann in advance. At Art Embraces Poetry you will have reserved seating, a nametag and be introduced by Emcee Sue Farmer. A media table is provided for writers and artists. We encourage you to offer your books for sale after the program; LAC takes no commission.
- Photographs and video taken may be made available on our website and social media channels.