High School Visual Arts Competition
We are thrilled to kick off the 20th Annual High School Visual Arts Competition! The High School Visual Arts Competition showcases and acknowledges art in four categories: 2D, 3D, Photography, and the Lamorinda Arts Alliance Digital Art category. All work is by high school students who live in or attend school in Orinda, Lafayette, or Moraga, including all schools in the Acalanes Union High School District. The competition features cash awards, merit citations, an in-person art exhibit in the gallery as well as an online public exhibit of entries on the Lamorinda Arts Council website.
Click HERE to see the full gallery of 2023 entries
Full list of past award winners is available HERE.
Important Dates for 2023
- Fri 11/4/22: Registration Opens
- Fri 2/17, midnight: Registration Deadline (online)
- Fri 3/3, 4-6pm and Sat 3/4 10am-noon: Artwork Drop Off (Orinda Library)
- Sun 3/5 - Fri 3/31: Exhibit (Art Gallery at the Orinda Library)
- Thu 3/16, 7-8:30pm: Artist & Awards Reception (Orinda Library)
- Sat 4/1 and Sun 4/2: Artwork Pickup (Orinda Library)
The Lamorinda Arts Council High School Visual Arts Competition accepts entries for:
- 2D: painting, drawing, printmaking, mixed media, collage
- 3D: ceramics, sculpture, jewelry, construction
- Photography: traditional film and digital photography
- Lamorinda Arts Alliance Digital Art Category: two-dimensional artwork that is produced or manipulated on a computer platform and then printed on paper, canvas or other material. The artwork may be an original digital painting, a digital graphic or illustration, or a photo image that has been manipulated beyond enhancement or applying effect to a photograph.
Eligibility and Rules
All high school students living in or attending high school in Moraga, Orinda, or Lafayette and/or Acalanes Union High School District, including Las Lomas High School, are invited to participate. Students may submit only one art piece per category, but may enter more than one category.
Professionals with experience in (practicing, teaching, or representing) the categories judge the competition. The criteria used for judging is:
- Creativity and originality
- Degree of expertise in the chosen medium
Cash prizes for Best in Show and 1st – 3rd place per category, for a total of up to $2,050, will be awarded.
Best in Show – $250
1st Place – $250
2nd Place – $150
3rd Place – $50
Honorable Mentions – certificate