Tips and Tricks for Filmmakers
- Hold your camera horizontally (landscape direction) for a more cinema style picture. This gives you more room to crop your image for a better shot. If you hold your phone in portrait direction, you will have black areas on each side of your video clip.
- Consider a tripod for a more stable wide angle shot
- Get creative with camera angles - try shooting the same scene from different points of view to see which you like better
- Consider an external microphone to improve audio quality. Many can be found on Amazon that either connect to an iPhone or are wireless via Bluetooth
- Background music, used deliberately, can enhance your film. But be sure you have the “right” to use that music. Here are some sites that offer music that can be used royalty free.
- If using an iPhone or Mac, iMovie is robust and largely intuitive editing software. Free versions exist for Mac and also for use directly on an iPhone or iPad. There are also other free editing software options:
- For a professional look, add beginning titles and closing credits to your film
Submit your three-minute movies via Film Freeway between Feb. 22 and Mar. 26, 2021
Winners will be announced April 5th, 2021.
Entries are $5 per film; unlimited entries accepted. Upload your movie @ https://filmfreeway.com/LamorindaSuperShorts.
(If the entry fee presents a barrier to submission, please contact us here and let us know.)