2023 Program Dates
Art Embraces Words programs are held on Saturday afternoons from 2 - 3:30 pm in the Arts & Science Room at the Lafayette Library & Learning Center, 3491 Mt. Diablo Blvd., Lafayette, CA 94549. A reception immediately follows on the adjacent Library Courtyard. Media table provided for writers, artists and information of interest to the literary and artistic community. Book sales are encouraged. The free Library parking lot closes at 5:00 pm.
Two Art Embraces Poetry events are planned for 2023 in April and July. These events are held on Saturday afternoons from 1:30-3:30pm in the lobby at Town Hall Theatre Company, 3535 School Street, Lafayette, CA 94549.
- March 18 Art Embraces Words - Featured Poet & Scientist David Seaborg, Writers Quỳnh Uyen Trinh & Alvin Ziegler; Artists Jennifer Lothrigel plus Kim & Jeanette Lavoie
- April 15 Art Embraces Poetry - Celebrate National Poetry Month! Featuring Poet Ophelia Leong read "The Guardian of Lafayette Reservoir,” among other works. Guests enjoyed a No Host Bar while viewing Bay Area Studio Artists eight member group exhibit entitled “A Show of Hands.” BASA member artist Lassie Colebourn spoke about the exhibit and invited Q&As about their artwork.
- July 15 Art Embraces Poetry - 1:30 to 3:30 pm Town Hall Theatre, 3535 School Street, Lafayette 94549 Featured Poet Nana-Dictta Graves
- August 12 Art Embraces Words - Writers & Artists TBD
- October 28 Art Embraces Words - Halloween Costume Event! Come as your favorite artistic or literary character; judges award prizes for best costumes
- December Art Embraces Words - Date, Writers & Artists TBD
Links to Apply as an Emerging Writer, Poet or Artist
To apply as an emerging writer for Art Embraces Words or as a poet for Art Embraces Poetry please access our online application form below. Note that the term writer in the application refers to a writer for Art Embraces Words or a poet for Art Embraces Poetry.
APPLY AS A WRITER OR POET
To apply as an emerging Artist presenter please fill out our online application form here:
APPLY AS A PRESENTING ARTIST
To contact the organizers of the program email email@example.com or call 925-359-9940.
Art Embraces Words
Writers paint images with words. Artists tell stories with color. Together they enrich our community.
The LAC 2023 Art Embraces Words season is made possible by a generous grant from the Community Foundation of Lafayette. Programs are scheduled on Saturday afternoons with readings and art exhibits from 2:00 - 3:30 pm followed by a reception. We feature local emerging writers and artists with occasional presenters from out of state or out of the country. Original art is exhibited on three walls of the room to set the creative tone and all presenters speak from a podium with a mic. To learn more about Art Embraces Poetry scroll down on this page.
We alternate between emerging writer and artist presenters, announced by Co-chair and Emcee Linda Hartmann of the California Writers Club Mt. Diablo Branch. LAC Board President Sue Farmer keeps us on track throughout the program. Each presenter speaks for approximately 10 minutes followed by a short audience Q&A. A reception with light refreshments follows outdoors in the adjacent Library Courtyard.
To view YouTube videos from previous Art Embraces Words programs click HERE.
Art Embraces Poetry 2023
The Lamorinda Arts Council presents Art Embraces Poetry, its newest free program as part of the experimental “Art Embraces” genre. In 2022 we collaborated with members of the talented Ensemble ARI by hosting an Art Embraces Music event in the Lafayette Community Hall. To our delight virtually every seat was taken as world-class musicians filled the space with classical music while ’embraced’ by original art on the stage. This experience emboldened us to create a poetry reading program combined with original local art.